Q: When (and where) is TEDxTauranga?
- 10am to 5pm Saturday 22 June 2019
- Venue: Holy Trinity, 215 Devonport Rd, Tauranga
Q: What’s the schedule for the day?
- 9.00am: Door open
- 10:00am: Session #1 begins
- 11:25am: Early Lunch
- 12:45pm: Session #2
- 1:40pm: Break
- 2:15pm Session #3
- 3:00pm: Break
- 3:45pm: Session #4
- 4:30pm: Networking and the End
Q: Breaks: How many breaks during the event?
- There will be three breaks for lunch, afternoon tea and a late afternoon snack
- Yes! Food will be served in our 3 breaks
All this delicious goodness will sustain you throughout a day filled with new ideas from some of the most innovative thinkers around, lots of amazing people to speak to and live entertainment! All included in your TEDxTauranga ticket!
- There will be coffee and tea available at the venue
- Please bring a refillable water bottle which can be topped up at Holy Trinity (and your keep-cup for coffee!)
Q: Coffee. I need it. What’s the story with coffee supply?
- The show starts at 10am, but we’ll open the doors at 9am
- Bring your keep-cups!
- We’ll have barista carts to serve you all day for about $5 per coffee. Please remember to bring cash to speed up your service
- All food and refreshments (including tea & filter-coffee) inside our doors is free all day
Q: Can I bring my own water bottle?
- Yes, please do. We are determined to create zero waste for landfill this year, so please help us by bringing your own drink bottle to refill from the fountains
- Bring your own keep-cup for coffee too so we use less paper coffee cups and washable mugs
Q: Do you have a mobile app?
Q: What is included in the ticket price?
- Our line-up of 10 speakers + live entertainment acts + TED videos + food all day
Q: I need a refund on my ticket, what shall I do?
- There is a link for requesting refunds inside the email receipt for your ticket purchase
- Otherwise, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your details
- We can process refunds up until 3 days out from the event (that’s when we confirm our catering)
Q: Can I change the name on a ticket?
- You can log back into our ticket provider using the link provided in your email receipt, and update the details there
- Otherwise, you can email us at email@example.com with the details
- We need the individual names of every person joining us because we print out lanyards/name tags with names on them
Q: Do I need to print out my ticket?
- No. We just need your name at the door so you can pick up your name badge / lanyard
Q: I don’t have a credit card, can I still buy a ticket?
- Yes, you can pay via internet banking here.
Q: Can I buy tickets at the door?
- No. Tickets will need to be purchased in advance from our tickets page with Eventbrite
Q: Is it true that this event is non-profit and volunteer based?
- Yes! “Non-profit” means that any excess funds we generate from each event are utilised for the next one
- Rule number one to get a TEDx licence is that all volunteers are unpaid
- The speakers and entertainers are also unpaid. We reimburse the travel expenses of our out-of-town speakers
- The TEDxTauranga team put in about 4000 hours collectively to bring this event to you, and no-one gets paid a cent
- Funds we collect from ticket sales and sponsorship go toward running the event: food, venue hire, audio/visual, videography/photography, some advertising, travel expenses for out-of-town speakers
Q: Seating: Are the seats allocated? Can I change my seat throughout the day?
- Sit where-ever you like! In fact, we encourage you to change seats when you come back from breaks
Q: Can I bring my kids?
- Children / Young Adults aged 12+ are welcome. Any younger and the long day would take its toll
Q: What shall I wear?
- Whatever is comfortable to you. Casual, semi-formal, or formal attire if you like
Q: Will I get to meet the speakers?
- Yes. Our speakers will be milling about before and after their talk on stage during the breaks
Q: Can I record or photograph the speakers presentations?
- You may take photos/short-videos with the flash off
- We’ll release the videos within a few weeks of the event for you to share around
Q: EFTPOS? Is Eftpos available?
- You will need cash if you want barista coffee. Everything inside our doors is free.
Q: Who do I ask if I have a question on the day?
- For general questions find anyone wearing the black TEDxTauranga T-Shirt with a small red “x” on the front and big logo on the back
- Have a follow-up question for a speaker? Find the “Speakers Corner” in the breaks, that’s where they’ll be
Q: Parking: Where do I park? 4 ideas:
- Take the bus!
- Park in a Tauranga City Council parking building which are free on the weekends http://www.tauranga.govt.nz/Portals/0/data/living/parking/files/cbd_parking_map.pdf
- Carpool! The conversation on the way home is bound to be interesting after enjoying all the thought provoking content from the day
- There are 40 on-street parks around Holy Trinity when we are expecting 750 people, so stick to the 3 ideas above
Q: I can’t come for the whole day, is it ok to come and go as I need?
- We have constructed this experience specifically for us to enjoy the entire day together. Please commit to it.
- If you do need to leave the room whilst the show is in progress, we will ask you to wait outside until the next break as a courtesy to the speaker and other attendees
Q: After-Party: Is there an after-party this year?
- No, we haven’t arranged anything. The team and speakers might end up in a local restaurant/bar so look out for us and join us!
Q: Is there wheelchair access?
- Yes! Mobility carparks can be found next to Holy Trinity, accessed from 2nd Ave and there is wheelchair access from there into the building.
- To comply with safety and fire regulations, those people in wheelchairs will have designated areas to sit within the Holy Trinity.
- Please email us once you have purchased your ticket and let us know if you require a wheelchair spot so we can reserve a space for you
Q: Sign Language: Will there be a sign language interpreter for the hearing-impaired?
- No, sorry. We made efforts to make this happen, but we couldn’t get it done 🙁
Q: What’s the difference between TED and a TEDx event like TEDxTauranga?
- There are 2 or 3 official TED conferences every year including TED and TED Global. They cost about US$2,500 to US$10,000 to attend.
- You’ll see about 50 to 70 live talks on stage over a 5 day period if you attend one.
- Each of those talks is recorded and drip-fed to the public one per every week day on TED.com
- In 2009 TED decided to empower passionate people around the world to create their own TED-like event by creating TEDx. The “x” means independantly organised.
- Organisers apply for a licence (after spending about 6 hours studying the guidelines), and if they meet the criteria, are issued with a licence to run their first event with a maximum attendance of 100 people. If they do a good job, they can apply to renew their licence the following year