Q: When (and where) is TEDxTauranga?
- 10am to 6pm Saturday 7 October 2017
- Venue: Holy Trinity, 215 Devonport Rd, Tauranga
Q: What’s the schedule for the day?
- 10:00am: The Beginning
- 11:25am: Early Lunch
- 12:45pm: Session #2
- 1:40pm: Break
- 2:15pm Session #3
- 3:00pm: Break
- 3:45pm: Session #4
- 4:30pm: Networking and the End
Q: Breaks: How many breaks during the event?
- There will be three breaks for lunch, afternoon tea and a late afternoon snack
- Yes! Food will be served in our 3 breaks
All this delicious goodness will sustain you throughout a day filled with new ideas from some of the most innovative thinkers around, lots of amazing people to speak to and live entertainment! All included in your TEDxTauranga ticket!
- There will be coffee and tea available at the venue
- Please bring a refillable water bottle which can be topped up at Holy Trinity (and your keep-cup for coffee!)
Q: Coffee. I need it. What’s the story with coffee supply?
- The show starts at 10am, but we’ll open the doors at 9am
- Bring your keep-cups!
- We’ll have barista carts to serve you all day for about $5 per coffee. Please remember to bring cash to speed up your service
- All food and refreshments (including tea & filter-coffee) inside our doors is free all day
Q: Can I bring my own water bottle?
- Yes, please do. We are determined to create zero waste for landfill this year, so please help us by bringing your own drink bottle to refill from the fountains
- Bring your own keep-cup for coffee too so we use less paper coffee cups and washable mugs
Q: Do you have a mobile app?
- Of course! From your mobile phone go to http://my.yapp.us/TEDXTAURANGA to install our app
- It has details on:
- The Schedule for the day
- Our Sponsors
- A copy of these FAQ’s
- You can share the photos you take during the day
Q: What is included in the ticket price?
- Our line-up of 10 speakers + live entertainment acts + TED videos + food all day
Q: I need a refund on my ticket, what shall I do?
- Email us at email@example.com with your details
Q: Can I change the name on a ticket?
- Yes. We need the individual names of every person joining us because we print out lanyards/name tags with names on them
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the details
Q: Do I need to print out my ticket?
- No. We just need your name at the door so you can pick up your name badge / lanyard
Q: Can I buy tickets at the door?
- No. Tickets will need to be purchased in advance: Either online from our tickets page or in person via a Eventfinda reseller
- Because TEDxTauranga is a premium event our ticket price is out of reach for some people. That’s why we are offering “Pay it forward” tickets where you can buy a ticket for yourself and one for a worthy recipient chosen by a Bay of Plenty charity such as:
- Bellyful Tauranga: Bellyful is a charity providing meals to families with newborn babies and families with young children who are struggling with illness
- Avalon Tauranga: Works alongside disadvantaged individuals in the Bay of Plenty, to enhance their knowledge, skills and capacities, reducing barriers to inclusion and supporting the development of valued roles, enabling them each to life an ordinary life of their choosing.
- Young Innovator Awards (Tauranga): Is a local awards programme for students in Tauranga/Western Bay of Plenty to promote innovation. Students build inventions and generate ideas for innovative products or services that make the world a better place.
Q: Is it true that this event is non-profit and volunteer based?
- Yes! “Non-profit” means that any excess funds we generate from each event are utilised for the next one
- Rule number one to get a TEDx licence is that all volunteers are unpaid
- The speakers and entertainers are also unpaid. We reimburse the travel expenses of our out-of-town speakers
- The TEDxTauranga team put in about 4000 hours collectively to bring this event to you, and no-one gets paid a cent
- Funds we collect from ticket sales and sponsorship go toward running the event: food, venue hire, audio/visual, videography/photography, some advertising, travel expenses for out-of-town speakers
Q: Seating: Are the seats allocated? Can I change my seat throughout the day?
- Sit where-ever you like! In fact, we encourage you to change seats when you come back from breaks
Q: Can I bring my kids?
- Children / Young Adults aged 12+ are welcome. Any younger and the long day would take its toll
Q: What shall I wear?
- Whatever is comfortable to you. Casual, semi-formal, or formal attire if you like
Q: Will I get to meet the speakers?
- Yes. One of our sponsors will set up an area for the speakers during the breaks. Speakers who have been in the session before each break will be there
Q: Can I record or photograph the speakers presentations?
- You may take photos/short-videos with the flash off
- We’ll release the videos within a few weeks of the event for you to share around
Q: EFTPOS? Is Eftpos available?
- You will need cash if you want barista coffee. Everything inside our doors is free.
Q: Who do I ask if I have a question on the day?
- For general questions find anyone wearing the black TEDxTauranga T-Shirt with a small red “x” on the front and big logo on the back
- Have a follow-up question for a speaker? Find the “Speakers Corner” in the breaks, that’s where they’ll be
Q: Parking: Where do I park? 4 ideas:
- Take the bus!
- Park in a Tauranga City Council parking building which are free on the weekends http://econtent.tauranga.govt.nz/data/parking/files/CBD_parking_map.pdf
- Carpool! The conversation on the way home is bound to be interesting after enjoying all the thought provoking content from the day
- There are 40 on-street parks around Holy Trinity when we are expecting 850 people, so stick to the 3 ideas above
Q: I can’t come for the whole day, is it ok to come and go as I need?
- We have constructed this experience specifically for us to enjoy the entire day together. Please commit to it.
- If you do need to leave the room whilst the show is in progress, we will ask you to wait outside until the next break as a courtesy to the speaker and other attendees
Q: After-Party: Is there an after-party this year?
- No, we haven’t arranged anything. The team and speakers might end up in a local restaurant/bar so look out for us and join us!
Q: Is there wheelchair access?
- Yes! Mobility carparks can be found next to Holy Trinity, accessed from 2nd Ave and there is wheelchair access from there into the building.
- To comply with safety and fire regulations, those people in wheelchairs will have designated areas to sit within the Holy Trinity.
- Please email us once you have purchased your ticket and let us know if you require a wheelchair spot so we can reserve a space for you
Q: Sign Language: Will there be a sign language interpreter for the hearing-impaired?
- No, sorry. We made efforts to make this happen, but we couldn’t get it done 🙁
Q: What’s the difference between TED and a TEDx event like TEDxTauranga?
- There are 2 or 3 official TED conferences every year including TED and TED Global. They cost about US$2,500 to US$10,000 to attend.
- You’ll see about 50 to 70 live talks on stage over a 5 day period if you attend one.
- Each of those talks is recorded and drip-fed to the public one per every week day on TED.com
- In 2009 TED decided to empower passionate people around the world to create their own TED-like event by creating TEDx. The “x” means independantly organised.
- Organisers apply for a licence (after spending about 6 hours studying the guidelines), and if they meet the criteria, are issued with a licence to run their first event with a maximum attendance of 100 people. If they do a good job, they can apply to renew their licence the following year