I was the emcee for the event and I started the night with 5 promises (and at the end of the night I checked with the audience if I had kept them):
- You will hear new ideas [achieved!]
- You will meet new people [achieved!]
- You will cry at least once [achieved!]
- You will laugh at least twice [achieved!]
- You will clap until your hands are raw [achieved!]
Recently I’ve come to realise that with events like this, that 1/3 of the value of attending is the content and 2/3rds the people that you meet before, during and after. So I made sure to include at least 4 minutes of time between talks so everyone could meet new people.
We had 6 talks (4 live speakers + 2 videos):
#1: Dean Parchomchuk & Charlotte Yates “Tokelau: Bringing Solar Power to a Nation”
#3: Peter Blakeway “Should we eat our pets?”
#4: Nik Gregg “Compassionate business”
#6: Tommy Wilson “Edu-tainment is the silver lining of the long white cloud”
For our live speakers, we hope to have videos to share with you in a couple of weeks.
Photos are coming soon (hopefully in a few days).
And we’ve started talking about the next one, penciled in for July 2014 (for up to 1000 people).
Would you like to help with the next one? I’m looking for help in 3 ways:
- Yes, I can help with sponsorship
- Yes, I know of someone that would make a great speaker for next time
- Yes, I would like to volunteer to help organise the next one
Head Organiser of www.tedxtauranga.com / Tuesday 30 July 2013