Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When (and where) is TEDxTauranga?
- 10am to 6pm Saturday 20 August 2016
- Venue: ASB Arena, BayPark
- Buy your Ticket
Q: What’s the schedule for the day?
Arrive early, grab a coffee, and meet and greet some fellow TEDxsupporters.
Be in your seat ready for Speaker session 1: Sharon & Mike Barton, Heather Hendrickson, Johan Morreau, and Donna Miles-Mojab
Break for a rejuvenating early lunch. Grab a vegetarian frittata and a bliss ball, stretch your legs and check out some of the exhibits in Tech Alley
Speaker session 2: Armon Tamatea, Jody Jackson-Becerra, and Michael Hershman
Break for afternoon tea. Replenish your energy levels with a plate of samosas and a fresh fruit smoothie, find a comfortable corner, and dive into a discussion about which talk has left you filled with more questions.
Head back to your seats in time for a musical delight and then in to Speaker session 3: Joshua Konowe, Shama Sukul Lee, and Robin Youngson
Break a refueling snack of hot soup and bread as you ponder what might come next.
Speaker session 4: Bryan Winters, David Boothway and Michael Jones
Closing perspective and thoughts from the day
Times are approximate and subject to change on the day.
Q: Breaks: How many breaks during the event?
- There will be three breaks for lunch, afternoon tea and a late afternoon snack
- Also, there is a few minutes break between speakers
- Yes! Food will be served in our 3 breaks
We have for you a progressive sampling of delicious food including red pepper, baby leek and pumpkin terrine, tomato, olive and chorizo or vegetarian frittata, vegetable and beef samosas, delicious fresh fruit smoothies and hearty winter soup and fresh baked bread. And lots of options for gluten-free and vegan dietary needs too.
All this delicious goodness will sustain you throughout a day filled with new ideas from some of the most innovative thinkers around, lots of amazing people to speak to, live entertainment and the chance to get your hands on the latest interactive technology and exhibits! All included in your TEDxTauranga ticket!
- There will be coffee and tea available at the venue
- Please bring a reuseable water bottle which can be topped up at ASB Arena.
- The show starts at 10am, but we’ll open the doors at 9am
- We’ll have 2 barista carts + the ASB Arena cafe in the lobby to serve you all day for about $5 per coffee. Please remember to bring cash to speed up your service
- All food and refreshments (including tea & filter-coffee) inside our doors is free all day
- Yes! “Non-profit” means that any excess funds we generate from each event are utilised for the next one
- Rule number one to get a TEDx licence is that all volunteers are unpaid
- The TEDxTauranga team put in about 4000 hours collectively to bring this event to you, and no-one gets paid a cent
- Yes, please do. We are determined to create zero waste for landfill this year, so please help us by bringing your own drink bottle to refill from the fountains
- Our line-up of 13 speakers + live entertainment acts + food all day
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your details
- Yes. We need the individual names of every person joining us because we print out lanyards/name tags with names on them
- Email us at email@example.com with the details
- No. We just need your name at the door so you can pick up your name badge / lanyard
- No. Tickets will need to be purchased in advance: Either online from our tickets page or in person via a Eventfinda reseller eg Creative Tauranga
- Sit where-ever you like! In fact, we encourage you to change seats when you come back from breaks
- Children / Young Adults aged 12+ are welcome. Any younger and the long day would take its toll
- Whatever is comfortable to you. Casual, semi-formal, or formal attire if you like
- Yes. One of our sponsors will set up an area for the speakers during the breaks. Speakers who have been in the session before each break will be there
- You may take photos with the flash off
- No recording video clips though. We’ll release the videos within a few weeks of the event for you to share around
- You will only need cash if you want barista coffee from the lobby. Everything inside our doors is free
- The ASB Arena Cafe has eftpos. There is a cash machine in the foyer
- For general questions find anyone wearing the black TEDxTauranga T-Shirt with a small red “x” on the front and a big lightbulb on the back
- Have a follow-up question for a speaker? Find the “Speakers Corner” in the breaks, that’s where they’ll be
- The ASB Baypark has a huge amount of parking. The event is in the ASB Arena, not the stadium.
- No. We’ve fixed that this time. Because the space is normally for basket ball games the default was 18 degrees last year, oops. We’ll heat the space properly this time 🙂
- We have constructed this experience specifically for us to enjoy the entire day together. Please commit to it.
- If you do get called away on an emergency, if the show is in progress, we will ask you to wait outside until the next break as a courtesy to the speaker and other attendees
- No, not this year.
- Yes. The entire event is at ground level and wide doorways and open spaces. You are very welcome
- No, sorry. We made efforts to make this happen, but we couldn’t get it done 🙁
- There are 2 or 3 official TED conferences every year including TED and TED Global. They cost about US$2,500 to US$5,000 to attend.
- You’ll see about 50 to 70 live talks on stage over a 5 day period if you attend one.
- Each of those talks is recorded and drip-fed to the public one per every week day on TED.com
- In 2009 TED decided to empower passionate people around the world to create their own TED-like event by creating TEDx. The “x” means independantly organised.
- Organisers apply for a licence (after spending about 6 hours studying the guidelines), and if they meet the criteria, are issued with a licence to run their first event with a maximum attendance of 100 people. If they do a good job, they can apply to renew their licence the following year
Q: Coffee. I need it. What’s the story with coffee supply?
Q: Is it true that this event is non-profit and volunteer based?
Q: Can I bring my own water bottle?
Q: What is included in the ticket price?
Q: I need a refund on my ticket, what shall I do?
Q: Can I change the name on a ticket?
Q: Do I need to print out my ticket?
Q: Can I buy tickets at the door?
Q: Seating: Are the seats allocated? Can I change my seat throughout the day?
Q: Can I bring my kids?
Q: What shall I wear?
Q: Will I get to meet the speakers?
Q: Can I record or photograph the speakers presentations?
Q: EFTPOS? Is Eftpos available?
Q: Who do I ask if I have a question on the day?
Q: Parking: Where do I park?
Q: I heard it was cold last year, shall I bring a blanket this year?
Q: I can’t come for the whole day, is it ok to come and go as I need?
Q: After-Party: Is there an after-party this year?
Q: Is there wheelchair access?
Q: Sign Language: Will there be a sign language interpreter for the hearing-impaired?
Q: What’s the difference between TED and a TEDx event like TEDxTauranga?